Kiveton & Wales Heritage

Kiveton & Wales Heritage

In This Section

Arthur Whiteway

At the age of 14 years Arthur left school and found work in a factory in Attercliffe, Sheffield. In 1941 Arthur was taken on at Kiveton Park Steel and Wire work as an electrician, at that time the owners were Blatherwick and Maycock, the works were situated along side the canal. Arthur remembers some of the people and their roles in the company. Charlie Cook of Limetree Avenue, Kiveton Park was a fitter as was Albert Fields. Harold Lambert was a welder, Sam Bowskill worked in the cutting up shop. George Hepworth was a lorry driver while Doug Smith worked on the furnaces. The station signal man in 1941 was a Mr Sealy.

Arthur recalls that Jack Bell built a house for Doug Smith in Harthill, Arthur wired the house that stills stands today. Jack and his family lived in the cottages alongside the manager of the malt kilns. The limestone quarry was behind the Station Hotel. Bessie Wood worked in the canteen back then and was still there in the 1960/70's and beyoind. Bessie's brother was manager atthe same time. The grinding and reeling shop were located at the side of the Station Hiotel. The wire works had a firm at Waleswood in the 1930's.

Tell A Friend

© 2010 The Kiveton Park & Wales History Society  |  Web Design Sheffield by Green Sheep Design